Thread: Hiace Camper on the way...

User Info Menu

Default Hiace Camper on the way...

Hi All. I have a newer ( 3.0l turbo) Toyota Hiace camper on the way - mid June.
    Looking for options on headlights ( anyone else on here converted yet) , and also its been a few years since I landed my last vehicle. Anyone have a suggestion for import brokers? Any any tips on who is a reliable garage / inspection facility in Richmond/Vancouver? Anything changed drastically the last few years ?

Ideally would love to get it cleared - and have it picked up by a garage for the inspection/repairs - to make sure its good to go before carting it up to Squamish. Not many people wanting to work on them up here...

Thank you
    Jeff

Thank you
    Last edited by pattersonimages; 05-25-2019 at 06:13 PM.

User Info Menu

I have always used Bob at ABC customs. I can't help you with inspection facilities as I live on the other side of Canada sorry.

Also welcome to the forum Post up some picture of your Toyota!
    2001 CDM ITR #01-1324
    2018 Civic SI FC3

User Info Menu

Just picked up my 1997 Hiace Super Custom today, literally just dropped it off at Japandroid based on some recommendations I got online, but they get seem to get mixed reviews... I'll let you know how it goes.

Haven't been able to find any good info online about headlights, but within 1 min of looking, Shogo at Japandroid said I'll need to replace them and add a third brake light, so this could be a pain in the ass.

I did clearance through customs myself and highly recommend doing it that way if you can take a morning and head to Vancouver. Just bring in your paperwork once you get the arrival notice, and it's 1 simple form to fill out. I went to the cbsa office at 8:00, filled out forms, paid, and was out the door by about 8:40. Was originally going to use a broker but the 2 low cost options I checked with said they were too busy to even do it, and the third I checked wanted $500.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info. So where exactly is the CSBA office? Last time I imported there was fax chaos of soil clearance paperwork, and some other stuff. I ended up hiring someone. Sounds much easier now!! Thanks for the info.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your post re:import/customs.
    wondering - it says send a Bill of Lading to local shipping agent? - did you fax this to someone at the contact for your boat in Vancouver?

i'm a bit confused?\

its coming NYK Line - and I have a copy of the bOL...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pattersonimages View Post
    Thanks for your post re:import/customs.
    wondering - it says send a Bill of Lading to local shipping agent? - did you fax this to someone at the contact for your boat in Vancouver?

i'm a bit confused?\

its coming NYK Line - and I have a copy of the bOL...
    You don't have to do anything yet. I saw that in the guide too and tried to get in touch with people at NYK and WWL. You can call WWL office in Vancouver if you want to check on the status, but if you just sit tight WWL should contact you within a few days after the boat arrives with the steamship release. You'll need to bring 2 copies of the release to the CBSA office (on main st) with your BOL, title, and transfer paperwork to do your customs clearance. WWL will also ask you to send in a copy of the BOL when you arrange for pickup.

User Info Menu

Oh, and I forgot to post an update, but Japanoid wasn't a ton of help. They gave me a list of $3-4k of work to replace suspension components that were worn and might fail inspection (but he even said weren't critical), and 3 bulbs which he said were burnt out (of which only 1 actually was?) said he'd get back to me with a quote for running lights and taillights (both of mine are cracked), but he never did.

He also recommended I go to a sketchy shop to pass inspection because my headlights aren't DOT compliant and he didn't think DOT compliant ones existed, so not to bother with the other work until another shop tells me what I have to do to pass inspection. Would have been better off just going to an actual OOP inspection place to begin with.

Heres my beast:
    IMG_20190531_120913.jpg
    IMG_20190531_181257.jpg