Thread: Coded key issue

User Info Menu

Default Coded key issue

Hello fellow VIP's
    Joined this forum as it looks like the best place for a JDM education. Recently picked up my first Subaru, a 99 Legacy GTB and have been getting to know the car and having fun so far. Unfortunately have a bit of an issue... ok a big issue... my only coded key has gone missing or should I say a swim, anyway it is gone. I'm looking for any information that anyone can provide on options for replacing/programming a new key. My local dealership and locksmith were no help. I do have access to the vehicle as I had just installed an aftermarket keyless entry (the key I had was not working and tried everything to program it).

Any help is appreciated
    Thanks

User Info Menu

This may be a tough one! I know it is hard to source keys/fobs from Japan after the car is already exported. I had the same issue with my old Honda SIR-S. What type of key is it? Can you post up a picture. Thanks!
    @cdmtyper
    2017 Civic Type R FK8 R-01546
    1996 Honda Integra XI J Series Swap ITR Clone

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply rhd, as it turns out the key ended up not being an immobilizer key so no need to program it. I was just going on what a service agent and jdm enthusiast was telling me. I managed to find someone local that was parting out a B4, same year as mine, so I acquired and swapped out the ignition switch, they had the key so I'm able to get rolling again. Now I just have to decide what to do about the door locks.
    There is a 4 digit number printed on the illumination ring, does anyone know if that might be a key code identifier that could be used to have a dealer make a key ?