Thread: Shipping My Personal Vehicle...What's Needed on the Canadian Side?

User Info Menu

Default Shipping My Personal Vehicle...What's Needed on the Canadian Side?

I'm currently in talks with the shipping company here to send my LandCruiser via container. It's still not determined if they are going to let me add personal items to the container or not. Deregistering and transport within Japan is easy for me so I just need to know what I need to have for the Canadian side to clear customs. I can't use a broker because this is my personal vehicle. Seems everyone uses a broker so I'm not sure what I need when doing it all myself. Thanks...

User Info Menu

Not much traffic these days...

User Info Menu

Your going to have lots of room in that container for personal stuff i would imagine. I would fill it up. (20 foot container prolly)

You should talk to a Broker In Canada to deal with the stuff on this side. as its your personal Vehicle and stuff you shouldnt have to pay dutys. Just unloading fee;s and warehouse charges etc.

Email Al Thompson <alt@thompsonlogistics.com> he is the Broker magician in Vancouver area.

Good luck
    CA_FTW Says ^^^^^^^^^^

User Info Menu

Thank you. I contacted two brokers and both told me that because it was my personal stuff I would have to do the process myself. I'm still talking to the shipper but they were pretty set against allowing anything else in the container with the car. They are still deliberating. About the only thing that really worries me is the soil check. I have cleaned the heck out of the vehicle but it's a 4x4 that has done some offroading in the past. Before it goes it will be power washed again and gone over inside and out for any kind of dirt. Maybe I'll send Al a message to see what he says. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Al will point you in the right direction for sure.

I wouldnt be worried about the Soil inspection, if its been power washed, then it will be fine.

Odd that the Shipping doesnt want to allow anything else in the container. Its your container right? people bring containers full of Cars and parts wheels etc over all the time. Maybe you need to find a better shipper.
    CA_FTW Says ^^^^^^^^^^

User Info Menu

All of the shippers we have talked to don't want to handle private customers like myself. We were turned down by quite a few. This was THE only one...Still waiting on their response. There is a lot of stuff I would like to take in that container. Thanks for that about the soil inspection. Are there any cars these days that don't make it through the inspection? I wonder....