Thread: Importing a Forester to New Brunswick

User Info Menu

Default Importing a Forester to New Brunswick

Hello all,

I am new to the forums, and to the importing scene. I've tried to do some digging, and I've been unable to find the info I'm looking for. Basically, I am looking for someone that knows what needs to be done to have a JDM Forester (2004 to be exact), registered, insured, and inspected in NB. Does NB require a new VIN? Will I need DOT headlights, DRL's, side markers, etc. for the vehicle to pass a NB OOP inspection? As well, what are some reputable tuners around Moncton, or Halifax (vehicle will be shipped to port in Halifax), as I assume it will need a tune as they run higher octane in Japan.
    Any help, or tips are greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Welcome to JDMVIP!!

You need to bring all your paperwork from Japan down to DMV to get it registered in your name. If you want license plate right away you will need to provide proof of insurance. As for insurance for RHD's only company insuring them now that I am aware of is Nortique which is facility and very expensive. You do not need another VIN, the JDM VIN on the car will be valid here in New Brunswick. Most places don't require DRL's all depends where you bring it for MVI. You don't need a tune right away, just run 91 octane that is all I ever did with my SF5 and STI. My brother also has a Forester with zero issues with 91 octane.

Have you already bought the car? If not I suggest going through one of our reputable sponsors.
    @cdmtyper
    2017 Civic Type R FK8 R-01546
    1996 Honda Integra XI J Series Swap ITR Clone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhdgc8 View Post
    Welcome to JDMVIP!!

You need to bring all your paperwork from Japan down to DMV to get it registered in your name. If you want license plate right away you will need to provide proof of insurance. As for insurance for RHD's only company insuring them now that I am aware of is Nortique which is facility and very expensive. You do not need another VIN, the JDM VIN on the car will be valid here in New Brunswick. Most places don't require DRL's all depends where you bring it for MVI. You don't need a tune right away, just run 91 octane that is all I ever did with my SF5 and STI. My brother also has a Forester with zero issues with 91 octane.

Have you already bought the car? If not I suggest going through one of our reputable sponsors.
    Hey man,

Thanks for the reply! I have not bought the vehicle yet. Just want to have everything sorted out before I buy so I can hopefully have as little hassle as possible once I decide to finally purchase. Iíve been speaking with Brian at B-Pro about a Forester and Iím liking the way itís looking so hopefully soon! As for insurance Iíve spoken to a buddy and his broker is Sears and he got his insurance through a different insurance agent than Nortique/Facility and pays $1,300/year for full coverage on his 93 RX-7 FD. Iím working on getting a quote from them right now, and Iíll let you know what I get quoted! As for the tune, would it still be a good idea to have it tuned for North American fuel, or do you think itís fine to just run 91 for the rest of its life. Last question, can any shop that does MVIís do an OOP Inspection? Or are there specific shops?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Awesome! Maybe more local insurance companies are finally going back to insuring RHDs under regular coverage.

As for tuning of course its always better to tune your car, but it is perfectly fine with our 91 octane until you do so. I have never done a OOP inspection with the 8+ imports I have had imported here in New Brunswick.
    @cdmtyper

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhdgc8 View Post
    Awesome! Maybe more local insurance companies are finally going back to insuring RHDs under regular coverage.

As for tuning of course its always better to tune your car, but it is perfectly fine with our 91 octane until you do so. I have never done a OOP inspection with the 8+ imports I have had imported here in New Brunswick.
    Thanks for all of the help man, really appreciate it! I was under the impression that any import needed to go through an OOP inspection. So just a regular MVI (now 2 year thank god!) is all it needs? And as for the insurance, I thought my buddy was through a different insurance agency but I guess it is facility. I was quoted $1,100/year PLPD, which I don't find too bad for a 21 year old driving a "high risk" vehicle as they say.

User Info Menu

Yeah no problem at all! Nah you just need a regular MVI. I don't know where abouts you are in NB, but I always took my imports to Coast Tire in Moncton for inspection.

Yeah I figured it was through facility, seems to be that way for right now. Main reason I sold my STI was because my insurance went from $500 a year to over 2 grand. I have a new CTR now and couldn't be happier so all is good!

Make sure to follow us on FB if you haven't already! We try and update it with current cars up for auction.
    @cdmtyper

User Info Menu

Hey Guys,

Nice to know there is still some RHD cars in New-brunswick. I live in Tracadie-sheila, and bought a 2005 Nissan Stagea AR-X through Brian at Bpro and its on the boat right now going to Halifax.

Couple of question about MVI and insurance. I would like to drive it from Halifax back home, but my broker told me Facility needs a OOP to insure RHD cars. So in order for me to get a transit to drive it back, I would need proof of insurance and to get that will need a OOP first? Do you know if Facility will be able to give me temporary insurance to let me drive my car back?

I used to have a 89 R32 Gt-r about 10 years ago and didnt have any problem to get it insured and inspected.

Thanks